CPD Dynamics Ltd
A brief syllabus for the CPD short course
Email: email@example.com for a more detailed syllabus.
- Terminology - sound pressure, intensity and power; decibel scale; dB addition and subtraction;
frequency weighting networks; dB(A); LAeq; LEP,d; SEL; NC; NR.
- Instrumentation - microphone construction and characteristics; environmental effects; calibration techniques;
free-field and pressure response; the sound level meter; the noise dose meter; measurement procedures.
- Noise sources and sound generation - noise generation mechanisms; inverse sqare law; far and near fields;
directional effects; noise contours; reverberant field; reverberation time; room constant; relationships between Lp, LI and Lw.
- Enclosures and partial enclosures - sound absorption and insulation; transmission lass; mass law;
stifness control; oincidence losses; composite structures; non-homogeneous constructions; leakage and flanking transmission.
- Hearing loss - ageing hearing loss; noise induced hearing loss; evaluation of handicap; ear protectors;
types of earplug and ear muff; selection of ear protectors; management of hearing conservation programmes.
- Legislation and standards - acceptability criteria; Noise at Work Regulations; action levels;
- Noise control procedures - noise control at source; shop floor remedies; materials; source identification;
control along transmission path; silencers; interference attenuator; Helmholtz resonator; plenum chamber.